The Daugherty Family
- ? Dougherty, b. Ireland
wife: ?, b. Scotland
- Nancy Agnes Daugherty,
b. 1808, Ireland
husband: John Sloan, b. 1805, Ireland
for more information on this branch of the family:
- Samuel Robert Sloan, b. 1834, PA
wife: Georgia Shauton
- James Sloan, b. 1837, PA
wife: Eliza Steele
- William John Sloan, b. 1839, PA
wife: Rebecca Jane McClelland
- Thomas Sloan, b. 1841, PA
wife: Margaret Thompson
- Elizabeth Sloan, b. 1844, PA, d. 1858
- Mary Sloan, b. 1846, PA, d. 1850
- Martha Sloan, b. 1848, PA
husband: George Reed Slater
- Archibald Dougherty, b. 1815, Ireland
wife: Margaret, b. 1824, Pennsylvania
Archibald may have immigrated in the 1830's.
There is an Archibald Daugherty in the 1840 census as head of household, age 20-30, with 1
female, age 20-30, and 2 females under age 5. It is unlikely that this is Archibald and Margaret.
If this is Archibald and a sister then it is unclear who the 2 females under age 5 are.
Or maybe he immigrated after 1840. His sister, Nancy Agnes, is
said by her family to have immigrated in 1818 and it's likely that they came
together but I haven't found any record of either of them that early.
He's in the 1850 and 1860 census with Margaret and the children.
Archibald enlisted in the 9th Pennsylvania Reserves, Company C, April 1861,
discharged on surgeon's certificate Jan 23, 1862
Corporal in 212th Regiment, 6th Artillery, Battery B September 4,1864,
mustered out with battery June 13, 1865
By 1870 Margaret is in Pennsylvania with the children and Archibald is in West Virginia
working on the railroad. That's the last record I find of Margaret
In the 1880 census Archibald Daugherty is shown as an uncle in William J Sloan's
(son of Nancy Agnes Daugherty and John Sloan) household in Ohio.
He indicates that he is divorced or widowed.
- Robert Dougherty, b. 1845, Virginia
- William John Dougherty, b. 1849, Pennsylvania
- Archibald Dougherty, b. May 1848, Virginia
m. Marg Ann Dufriend, Dec 23, 1866, b. 1848, Indiana
m. Mary Ellen Kennedy, b. July 1854, Virginia
Are there really 2 wives?
I found the marraige record for Archibald and Marg Ann but in 1870 he is still
living with his mother.
James Michael, born 1884, shows Mary Ellen Kennedy as his mother on his
SS application. But on James Michael's death certificate his younger brother,
Laurence, doesn't know who James Michael's mother is.
I found Archibald in the 1850, 1860 and 1870 census. His occupation in 1870 was 'works on
river boat - runs river'
In 1900 he and Ellen are in Indiana with 6 children. They report that they have
7 living children at the time. I don't know who the other child is.
That's the last record I find of either Archibald or Ellen.
- John W. Daugherty, b. December 1876, Pennsylvania
- Archibald Daugherty, b. June 1882, OH
- James Michael Daugherty, b. Jun 2,1884, Billiant, OH; d. April 4,1942, Alameda, CA.
wife: Clara Behers, b. February 4, 1894, Pittsburg, PA; d. November 1963, Marion, IN.
James was a glass blower. He was discharged from the 19th Infantry, August 1919.
- James Robert Daugherty, b. July 31, 1922; d. December 9, 1998
m. Sara Marie Wright, October 24, 1944
- Alice Daugherty, b. June 2,1884, Brilliant, OH; d. 1963, San Jose, CA.
husband: Thomas Joyce, b. 1908.
Alice lists her birth as 1889 but she and James Michael are twins and other records
- Margaret Joyce, b. May 19,1907.
husband: Eugene Chilcote, d. October 1935.
- Robert Daugherty, b. Sept, 1889, Maryland; d. March 12,1927, Van Buren, IN
- Laurence Samuel Daugherty, b. September 30,1893, Maryland.
wife: Alta Troy, b. August 5,1894.
- Mary B Dougherty, b. 1856, Ohio
- Sarah J A Dougherty, b. 1858, Ohio
- Margaret Dougherty, b. 1862, Pennsylvania