The Wright Family
- ? Wright
- David Wright, b 1785, Virginia or Maryland
Family legend tells that David, Sr, his wife Mary,
and the two sons came from near Jamestown, VA through Cumberland Gap into TN.
David and Mary rode horseback with a son behind each parent.
Other children are believed to have been born after the family arrived in TN.
- Samuel Wright, b. April 14, 1810, VA; d. April 16, 1897, Fentress Co, TN.
m. Celia Smith, b 1817; d. 1895; m. August 3, 1843, Fentress Co, TN.
Lived in Greene Co, TN? from 1822-33; then came to Fentress Co with his uncles John Wright
and Matthew W. Wright and their families.
Lived with his family in a large 2-story log house in western Fentress Co about
2 1/2 miles west of where Highway 52 now crosses the East Fork of Obey River and
near the present location of Wright Cemetery.
Silas Wright and Samuel Jr lived on adjoining farms after they married.
- Silas Wright, b. May 27, 1844; d. March 3, 1915, Fentress Co, TN.
m. Catherine Linder
Union soldier during the Civil War. He enlisted on January 25, 1862, with the
Tennessee Volunteers in Captain David Tinker Beaty's Company of Independent Scouts
and served until June 1, 1865.
- Samuel Wright, b. February 6, 1872.
m. Martha Stephens
- Marion Wright, b. February 1874.
m. Jane Beaty
m. Jane Cooper
- William Silas Wright, b. February 19, 1876.
m. Dice Waters
- James Dilliard Wright, b. January 5, 1878.
m. Ellen Smith
- Granville Wright, b. February 1880; d. October 27, 1966.
m. Armilla Moody, m. January 22, 1905
Lived on a farm about 3 miles south of Floyd Knobs, Indiana.
There was a low fence around the house and yard and the farm wagon was in the
barn "loft." For it was level with the ground, with the stalls underneath.
It was at the edge of a steep bank.
... 5 children
- Margaret Ann Wright, b. July 22, 1882.
m. Clemmy Bowden
- Emma Frances Wright, b. March 11, 1886.
m. Tom Taylor
- Mahala Wright, b. June 8, 1846.
m. Jim Threet
- Sarah Ann Wright, b. March 9, 1848; d. February 28, 1870.
- Margaret Jane Wright, b. September 17, 1849, Fentress Co, TN; d. 1935, Overton Co, TN.
- Samuel Wright, Jr. July 20, 1855; d. December 31, 1901, Fentress Co, TN.
m. Sarah Samantha Owens 1861-1948
Suffered from cancer of the face and wore a handkerchief over one side of his face.
When it became obvious that the local medical men could not help he went to Saint
Thomas Hospital in Nashville, hoping for help.
Nothing could be done and he lived about 3 more years.
Time became hard for the family. All of the children who could went to work.
Tina did the housework for the family of John Aile Reagan for $1.00 per week.
Sam mortgaged the farm in order to pay for his medical trips, but when he died the
mortgage came due and Sarah couldn't pay.
She loaded up all she could carry and left the rest behind.
He and his brother Silas and their families used to ford the Obey River on horses and
ride over to Little Crab to church, the post office, and store.
He was also a blacksmith and cooper.
His blacksmith shop was on his farm and his cooper shope was on the adjacent
farm of his father.
He delighted in carving wooden bread bowls and giving them to newly-wed couples.
When Sarah became a widow she realized that she could not raise her children by farming
a "poor land" farm.
She reasoned that the only thing that she really knew how to do was cook.
So she moved from the farm to the top of the mountain near where the Wilder Coal Mines
were being opened.
She lived there at Rockwood and at Wilder for several years keeping boarding houses
and cooking for workmen.
Ran the hotel (boardinghouse) in Wilder from before 1908 until August 13, 1913
when she moved to Nashville.
Went to Nashville in the early 20th century.
Raised Silas Rosco's boys when his first wife died.
Lawrence helped raise them.
- Martha Wright b. January 6, 1882; d. April 1966.
- John Savage Wright b. May 18, 1883.
m. Florence Morgan
Lived in Crawford all of his life and was a self-taught preacher
... 10 children
- Celia Clementine Wright b. March 21, 1885; d. February 6, 1981, Nashville, TN.
m. Thomas Elisha Mackey m. June 22,1909, Crawford, TN.
... 3 children
- Silas Roscoe Wright b. February 12, 1887; d. April 1976, Clarkrange, TN.
m. Pearl Nickens
Worked in the Fentress Coal and Coke Mine in Wilder as someone who repaired things
and who kept the mine going.
... 3 children
... 4 children
- Lillie May Wright b. April 14, 1889; d. February 26, 1992, Hendersonville, TN.
m. Daniel Thomas Jenkins, d. 1921.
Ran a boarding house in Wilder after her husband died suddenly in 1921 and they had
to move out of the Mine Superintendent's house.
Moved to Old Hickory, TN in 1926 when Carl (age 17) took a job at DuPont and
supported the family.
... 4 children
- Lawrence Leeland Wright January 17, 1894
m. Katie Rice
- Albert Cordell Wright b. 1894.
- Thomas Dayton Wright b. March 31,1896; d. October 31,1989, Nashville, TN.
m. Minnie Lee Buchli, Dec. 19, 1917, b. January 25,1897 d. 1973.
Age 15, Dayton worked for Briar Hill Collier Coal Co @ Crawford.
Later for Fentress Coal Mining Co @ Wilder.
Moved to Nashville August 1913 and worked 47 years at Nashville Gas,
including 13 years as Plant Superintendent. Retired 1961.
- John D Wright
- Sara Marie Wright b. June 24, 1924; d. November 1, 2017
m. James Robert Daugherty October 24, 1944
... 2 children
- Lenora Wright b. December 11, 1988; d. October 1994.
m. Granville Miller
... 2 children
- Myrtle Wright b. February 11,1901.
m. Joe Chilton
... 1 child
- David Wright, Jr., b. 1813, TN.
- Louisa Wright, b. 1837.
- Matthew Wright, b. 1838.
- Mulinda Wright, b. 1840.
- Margaret Wright, b. 1845.
- Matthew W. Wright, b April 14, 1789, Fredrick Co, MD; d. November 7, 1865, Little Crab, TN.
m. Margaret Ritchie, 1813, daughter of Long John Ritchie
Mathew Wright bought 300 acres of land on the south side of East Fork River from
Joel L. Reagan for $162. on April 29, 1835.
- Samuel Wright.
- Mary Wright, b. May15, 1814.
- Mathias Austin Wright, b. 1815, VA; d. August 3, 1899, Fentress Co, TN.
m. Elizabeth Betsy Jane Wright m. 1839.
- ? Wright
- James W. Wright, b. February 8, 1840, Little Crab, TN; d. April 30, 1900, Putnam, TN.
m. Sally Hunt, m. 1865.
- Margaret Ann Wright, b. 1844.
m. Isham Hinds.
- Nancy Wright, b. February 7, 1847, Little Crab, TN; d. January 17,1881, Fentress Co, TN.
m. Joel Lucy Reagan
- John Taylor Wright, b. March 13, 1849; d. January 22, 1917, Casey Co, KY.
m. Elizabeth Ann King
- James David Wright, b. 1872.
m. Martha Isabel Bell Whited
... 10 children
- Nancy J. Wright, b. 1870.
- Robert Richard Wright, b. 1875.
m. Emma Ledbetter
- Matilda E. Wright, b. 1877.
m. Dick Reynolds
- Alfred Mathias Wright, b. 1879.
m. Easter Hancock
- Emeline Wright, b. 1882.
m. Elam Beatty
- Peter John Wright, b. 1886.
m. Betty Grant
m. Janie Peck
- Frances Wright, b. 1890.
m. Claude Rogers
- Joe Green Wright, b. 1891.
m. Ida Lay
- Effie Wright, b. 1894.
- Jacob R. Wright, b. 1851.
m. Jane Beaty
m. Sarah Jones
- Samuel Winfield Wright, b. July 16, 1856, Little Crab, TN; d. 1903, Fentress Co, TN.
m. Naomi Choate
- David Millican Wright, b. December 2, 1858, Little Crab, TN.
m. Celesta Bowden
m. Samantha Bowden
m. Abby Bilbrey
- Joseph Harrison Wright
- Elizabeth Jane Wright, b. 1817.
m. Mattias Wright
- Joel Wright b. 1837.
- Margaret Wright, b. 1841.
- Stephen Wright, b. 1845.
- Jacob Wright, b. November 17, 1822, TN; d. 1913.
m. America Hinds
One document says he was the son of David Wright and settled on a farm on Indian Creek.
Said to be a prosperous old time farmer who died in 1913 in Boatland at nearly 100.
He had 4 brothers and 2 sisters.
- James Wright, b. 1849.
m. Tine Beaty
m. June Hood
- Nina J. Wright, b. 1849.
m. Landon Bowden
m. John Skinner
m. Ballam Beaty
- William Wright, b. 1852.
m. Mary Beaty
- Simeon Wright, b. 1853.
m. Cynthia Beaty
- Joseph Wright, b. 1855
m. Tilda King
- Margaret Wright, b. 1857
m. George Allred
- Emeline Wright, b. 1859.
- David Wright
m. Nancy York
m. Ellen Turner
D.P. Wright was reported killed in the service of Dave Tinker Beaty's Scouts.
It may be this one.
- Perry Wright
- Jacob Wright
m. Kate Hood
- Catherine Wright
m. Jim King
- Ludley S. Wright
m. David Beaty
- Bob Wright
m. Rose York
m. Margaret Cobb
- Margaret Ann Wright, b. 1824.
m. George D. Black
- Emeline Wright, b. June 15, 1823; d. February 5, 1898.
m. Nicholas Kearney m. 1844.
- Matthew Riley Wright, b. February 23, 1826, TN; d. November 19, 1904.
m. Nancy Wright
- John Lindsey Wright, b. December 5, 1855, Fentress Co, TN; d. 1924.
m. Nancy Jane Clayborn
- Michael Micah Wright, b. June 1850, Little Crab, TN; d. 1850.
- Elizabeth Jane Wright, b. 1852.
- Sara M. Wright, b. 1854.
- Mary Ann Wright, b. November 1857.
- Lenuel Scott Wright, b. 1860.
m. Matilda Clayborn
- Patience Wright, b. 1862; d. September 1949.
m. Melton Smith
m. William Story
- Permelia M Wright
m. ? Cook
- Sodusky A. Wright, b. 1827.
- William Wright, b. 1829.
m. Matilda Beaty
- John Wright, b. 1787, Fredrick Co, MD; d. May 17, 1864, Moodysville.
m. Elizabeth Lindley, December 26, 1814 in Bristol, TN, b. Maryland
Private in the War of 1812 in the VA Militia; 4th regiment--Cap't Matthew's Co.
He was discharged June 1, 1814 at Norfolk, VA.
- Sarah Wright, b. December 17, 1815, VA; d. April 8, 1860.
m. Pleasant Beaty, m. September 16, 1840
- Mahala Beaty, b. May 16, 1841.
- Margaret Beaty, b. February 5, 1843.
- Abigail Beaty, b. November 1845.
- Catherine Beaty, b. October 5, 1847.
- John Beaty, b. August 28, 1848.
- Cynthia Ann Beaty, b. January 21, 1851.
- Matthew Beaty, b. February 26, 1853.
- David Beaty, b. February 5, 1855.
- Alfred Keeton Beaty, b. September 28, 1857.
- Samuel Beaty, b. March 21, 1860.
- Elizabeth Jane Wright, B. abt. 1817; d. May 18, 1899.
m. Mathias Wright
They were first cousins. There is confusion over which one was the child of
Matthew W. and margaret Ann Ritchie Wright and which one was the child of
John and Elizabeth Lindley Wright.
- John C. Wright, b. abt. 1819.
Married 4-5 times; "Devil" John--sheriff or bounty hunter.
Private in the D 11 TN Cavalry; September 1865; Pall Mall
Military service: September 1865, Discharged in Pall Mall, TN from the Union army
as Pri D 11 TN Cav 11 S
- William J Wright, b. abt. 1843.
- Jesse Wright, b. 1845.
- Arissa J. Wright, b. 1846.
- Noah Wright, b. 1848.
m. Mahala King
- Martha A. Wright, b. 1850.
m. William E. Huddleston
- Nancy Wright, b. September 24, 1822; d. July 14, 1906.
m. Matthew Riley Wright
- Elchana Delany Wright, b. October 20, 1826; d. November 12, 1910, Pickett Co.
m. Phoebe Reagan
- David F. Wright, b. 1829, Fentress Co, TN.
m. Judith Huddleston
- Elizabeth Patience Wright, b. 1854.
- Martha A. Wright, b. 1856.
- William S. Wright, b. 1858.
- Moses L. Wright, b. 1860.
- Elam Eli Wright, b. May 6, 1862.
Went to Texas in the 1890s with his brother David and founded Estelline on the Red River
- David Mathias Wright, b. 1864.
- Elihu Wright, b. 1837.
- Lemuel C. Wright, b. 1837; d. 1909, Hall Co, TX.
m. Permelia Huddleston, m. 1866.
Farmer and miller. 1st Lieutenant in D Company 1st TN Mounted Infantry.
Horse fell on his leg while on a scouting mission injuring it.
Left TN in 1889 and bouht 640 acres in 1892 in Hall Co., TX
- Mathias Wright, b. 1820; d. 1898.
m. Elizabeth Jane Wright
Operated a saw mill. The lumber was shipped by water to Nashville where it was
used in the building of the state capital.
Came to Fentress Co about 1840 and built a log residence on the Old